Replacement of Damaged U.S. Passport

If necessary, Ambassador Passport and visa can replace your damaged passport in as little as 24 hours. A passport is considered damaged if it it exposed to water damage, exhibits considerable tearing or markings, has missing or torn out pages, hole punch markings or other similar damage. This is especially true if the bio information page has been affected by the damage. Depending on the extent of the damage, if you try to renew a passport that is damaged, it may be rejected.

Please note: We are pleased to announce that we are resuming accepting passport applications for expedited processing at speeds that are close to pre-pandemic turnaround times.  At this time, we can offer three speeds: Regular Expedited, Rush Processing and Ultra Rush Processing.  For example, currently, in as little as a few days (depending on current availability) you can have a new or renewed passport back in your hands.  Since we are registered to hand carry your application into the US Department of State, these turn-around times are significantly less than mail-in or on-line methods that are publicly available.    If you need to expedite your passport, or simply planning ahead for an upcoming trip, please contact an Ambassador Passport and Visa consultant at 310-828-7878 for the latest availabilities and turnaround times. 

Instructions for replacing a damaged passport or mutilated passport:

Print Page

1 - Completing Application Form DS-11

• Fully completed Application Form DS-11 – First Time Passport Application. Complete but do not sign.
• Please note that only the Online DS-11 Application Form will be acceptable.
• Fully completed DS-64 Lost or Stolen Application must also be filled out.

Please read the following important notes before completing the online application:

  • Agree with the privacy agreement on the first page, and on the next page select the “Apply Online” option on bottom left hand side of page, click on “Submit” and proceed with the application.
  • On the page titled “Passport Products and Fees”, under “Processing Methods” choose the “Expedited at Agency” option, and under “Delivery Methods” select the “Standard” option (Since Ambassador Passport and Visa will hand carry your documents to and from the US Department of State, the mailing option does not apply to hand carry applicants).
  • On the last page, titled “Next Steps” on bottom left, check the box next to “I have read and acknowledge the steps…” and below it click on the “Create Form” button at the bottom left, then open and print your application.  Do not sign until appearing in front of passport acceptance agent.
  • If at any time you have any questions or concerns, please call us at 310-828-7878.

Please click here to go through the online process of creating your DS-11 Application Form on the Department of State Website (Complete but Do Not Sign)

If you are using our expediting service, please note:

You must send all documents and requirements to Ambassador Passport and Visa Services so that we can hand carry your application into the Passport Agency immediately. Your passport application will expire and not be considered valid within five days from the date of execution / sealing.


If mutilated passport is not in your possession, then please click here for instructions to expedite a replacement of a Lost or Stolen US Passport.

For minors under age 16, both parents as well as the minor child should be present at the time of execution of the documents. If only one parent appears the other parent must sign and notarize a consent form:

Please click here for printing the Letter of Consent

2 - Two Recent Passport Photographs

Please note: acceptable passport photos are:
• Photographs must be 2 x 2 inches in size, taken within the past 6 months.
• The image size from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head should be between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches.
•  No glasses
• The photographs must be in color
• They must be full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background.
• Photographs should be taken without a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline.
• Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless required for medical reasons.
• Home made Digital photographs are not acceptable.

3 - Completed And Signed Authorization Letter

• The printed, completed, and signed Authorization Letter (in blue ink only) should be placed inside a sealed envelope by the Passport Clerk when executing the passport application.  

Click here for the Letter of Authorization – Online Fillable PDF Version.

Make a copy of the signed authorization letter, which you will send or bring to us, included in the documents / requirements to send us.

Please note: If you are using a mobile device, and/or have trouble filling out the form online, please click here for a printable-only version that can be filled out by hand in blue ink.


4 - Proof of U.S. CItizenship

• Submit your mutilated or damaged US Passport
• Certified Birth Certificate – Issued by the County or State Health Department or Bureau of Vital Statistics. Hospital birth certificates are not accepted. For assistance in getting a Birth Certificate, please click here.
• Consulate record of birth abroad
• Naturalization Certificates also known as Certificate of Citizenship
• Previous expired U.S. passport – issued over 15 years ago or issued when you were under the age of 16
• Please note: when renewing / replacing passports for minors under age 15, both previous passport and original birth certificate should be submitted.
Note: In case evidence proof of US citizenship is not available, it is still possible to get a replacement of a damaged passport, as long as applicant has a valid form of govt. issued ID.  In case of a minor, then applicant’s parents would need to have a valid govt. issued ID., however a birth certificate would be always be required.


In addition to Proof of U.S. Citizenship, Proof of Identity is also required. A valid Driver’s License or State ID issued more than 6 months ago must be available.  Make 2 copies of front and back of valid State ID or Drivers License.

If a valid ID is not available, Please see the list of supplemental ID requirements and then contact Ambassador Passport and Visa services.

5 - Proof of the Departure Date from the US is Required

Please note: Due to the pandemic, at this time it is not required to provide any type of proof of departure or travel until further notice.  However, if you have an itinerary, reservation, business letter, or other proof of travel, please provide it.

Copy of itinerary or air tickets, or letter on employer’s stationery confirming immediate international travel is required.

Click here for a sample of the Business Letter for the Passport Office.

6 - Completed Ambassador Passport and Visa Services Cover Letter
7 - Be Sure To Make Copies before your documents are sealed

Before the documents are sealed (described in next step) please make copies of:

• All application forms: DS-11 and DSP-64 if applicable
• Authorization Letter
*The extra passport photo (one of two passport photos, not a copy)
• Proof of Travel (Travel Itinerary or Business letter), if available.
• Copies of front and back of the State ID or Drivers Licenses (in other words, two sets of copies of front and back, one of which goes inside the acceptance agent’s package)
• Copies of birth certificate, or a picture of lost or stolen passport, a previous passport, or naturalization certificate.  These documents are not required in order to replace a damaged passport, but govt. may request one of the items listed once application has been submitted. 
• Ambassador Passport and Visa Services Cover Letter

You will need to send or bring us the above copies, along with the Ambassador Passport and Visa Cover Letter, after the application has been executed (signed) and sealed (placed inside and envelope and date stamped by the govt. agent.

Since we cannot open the sealed envelope you send us, these extra copies should be included inside the Federal Express or UPS envelope shipped to Ambassador Passport and Visa Services. Failure to provide us with copies may result in significant delays or rejection of your passport application.

8 - Execution of the passport application

• Take the above requirements to your local acceptance agent for Passport Applications (usually a post office, county clerk or court house). Inform the acceptance agent that you are processing your passport application through a private agency or through a “hand carry” agent. The clerk will place the above documents  in a sealed envelope and return it to you (You must not open or tamper with this envelope).  The sealed envelope should be sent or delivered to our office immediately, as it will expire within 5 business days from day of execution of the documents.

Please note: occasionally an acceptance agent will be reluctant to return your sealed envelope. If you encounter this problem, please refer him to the “Hand Carry” section of the Acceptance Officer Procedure Manual or contact Ambassador Passport and Visa Services.

To locate the closest Passport Acceptance Agent, Click Here

Please note, if you are within driving distance or would like to appear in person at our offices, the execution of the documents can also be performed at our designated local Post Office.

• You will need to pay the U.S. government fee to the clerk. This fee should be paid by two checks:

For Adults

Execution Fee (the clerk will retain the execution fee):$35.00
Government Fee (payable to U.S. Department of State):$190.00
Total Government Fees:$225.00

For Minors (Children Under 16 Years)

Execution Fee (the clerk will retain the execution fee):$35.00
Government Fee (payable to U.S. Department of State):$160.00
Total Government Fees:$195.00


 Please write your full name and your date of birth on both checks

Check List: The following documents should be placed inside the sealed envelope executed by the Passport Clerk:

• Your Proof of U.S. Citizenship
• The Application Form DS-11
• The Photographs
• The Appropriate Government fees
• The Letter of Authorization
• Copies of front and back of the State ID or Drivers Licenses 
• The Proof of Departure (Itinerary)

9 - FEES

Please note, unless otherwise confirmed by an Ambassador Passport and Visa Agent, processing for a U.S. Passport begins the FIRST BUSINESS DAY AFTER all the documents and requirements are received by Ambassador Passport and Visa Services.

(1) Government Fee: These Government Fees are paid at the time of execution, as per the instructions above.

Adults – Over age of 16$225.00
Minors – Under age of 16$195.00

(2) Ambassador Passport and Visa Services Fees:

Regular Expedited (3 to 4 weeks)Call for current pricing
Express Processing (10 to 15 Business Days)Call for current pricing
Rush Processing (7 to 10 Days)Call for current pricing
Ultra Rush ProcessinggCall for current pricing

Please note: Processing times begin the next business day after we receive your documents.

(3) Federal Express Fees (Continental USA Only)

FedEx 2nd Business Day$45.00
FedEx Letter (Priority Overnight)$48.00
FedEx Letter (First Overnight)$130.00
FedEx Letter (Saturday Delivery)$78.00
Alaska, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, USVI –
FedEx Priority Overnight Letter (No Saturday Delivery)



Please Forward All The Above Documents and Requirements To:
Ambassador Passport and Visa Services, Inc.
1400 16th Street, Suite 400
Denver, Colorado, 80202

For 24 Hour Passport Services ONLY: Be sure to call us so we can determine which address you should ship to, our Los Angeles, Washington D.C., Colorado, or our Seattle Office. Also, 24 hour processing begins once we have received all of your documents as specified on this page, to the correct office location.

Share This