A second valid passport is for travelers usually for one or more of the following reasons:
- Need to obtain visas while traveling abroad, or are trying to obtain multiple visas which will take longer to obtain than their travel date.
- Are traveling between multiple countries that are politically sensitive or have restrictive entry requirements, making it impossible to complete the trip using just one passport.
- You may renew your second valid passport by providing the same requirements as if you are renewing your first passport.
- Please note: We are pleased to announce that we are resuming accepting passport applications for expedited processing at speeds that are close to pre-pandemic turnaround times. At this time, we can offer three speeds: Regular Expedited, Rush Processing and Ultra Rush Processing. For example, currently, in as little as a few days (depending on current availability) you can have a new or renewed passport back in your hands. Since we are registered to hand carry your application into the US Department of State, these turn-around times are significantly less than mail-in or on-line methods that are publicly available. If you need to expedite your passport, or simply planning ahead for an upcoming trip, please contact an Ambassador Passport and Visa consultant at 310-828-7878 for the latest availabilities and turnaround times.
To apply for a Second U.S. Passport please submit the following:
1- Completed and Signed Application Form DS-82
Please read the following important notes before completing the online application:
- Agree with the privacy agreement on the first page, and on the next page select the “Apply Online” option on bottom left hand side of page, click on “Submit” and proceed with the application.
- On the page titled “Passport Products and Fees”, under “Processing Methods” choose the “Expedited at Agency” option, and under “Delivery Methods” select the “Standard” option (Since Ambassador Passport and Visa will hand carry your documents to and from the US Department of State, the mailing option does not apply to hand carry applicants).
- On the last page, titled “Next Steps” on bottom left, check the box next to “I have read and acknowledge the steps…” and below it click on the “Create Form” button at the bottom left, then open and print your application. Sign and date after completing and printing the online application.
- If at any time you have any questions or concerns, please call us at 310-828-7878
If you are using our expediting service, please note:
You must send all documents and requirements to Ambassador Passport and Visa Services so that we can hand carry your application into the Passport Agency immediately. Your passport application will expire and not be considered valid within five days from the date of execution / sealing.
FAILURE TO SEND YOUR DOCUMENTS AND REQUIREMENTS TO THE AMBASSADOR PASSPORT AND VISA SERVICES ADDRESS DIRECTLY MAY RESULT IN SIGNIFICANT DELAYS BEYOND OUR CONTROL.
2 - Most Recent Valid U.S. Passport
The passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago, and the bearer must have reached their 16th birthday before the passport issue date.
3 - The Expired Second Passport
These passports are only valid for a period of 2 years.
4 - Two Recent Professional Passport Size Photographs
Please note: acceptable passport photos are:
• Photographs must be 2 x 2 inches in size, taken within the past 6 months.
• The image size from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head should be between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches.
• No glasses
• The photographs must be in color
• They must be full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background. • Photographs should be taken without a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline.
• Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless required for medical reasons.
• Home made Digital photographs are not acceptable
5 - Completed & Signed Request Letter for Renewal of a Second Valid Passport
6 - Proof of the Departure Date from the USA is Required
Please note: Due to the pandemic, at this time it is not required to provide any type of proof of departure or travel until further notice. However, if you have an itinerary, reservation, business letter, or other proof of travel, please provide it.
Copy of itinerary or air tickets, or letter on employer’s stationery confirming immediate international travel is required.
7 - Completed and Signed Authorization Letter
Important note: You MUST select the first option (by checking the box on the left), in order for us to be able to process your application request. Not doing so will result in a delay in the processing of your passport application. After selecting the first option, it is also necessary to select one of the next two options.
Please print, complete, and sign (in blue ink only)
Click here for the Letter of Authorization – Online Fillable PDF Version.
Please note: If you are using a mobile device, and/or have trouble filling out the form online, please click here for a printable-only version that can be filled out by hand in blue ink.
8 - Completed Ambassador Passport and Visa Services Cover Letter
9 - Fees
Please note, unless otherwise confirmed by an Ambassador Passport and Visa Agent, processing for a U.S. Passport begins the FIRST BUSINESS DAY AFTER all the documents and requirements are received by Ambassador Passport and Visa Services.
(1) Government Fee:
|Obtain Second Valid U.S. Passport||$190.00|
Please be advised that the $190 U.S. Government Fee should be paid separately by check, cashier check, or money order made payable to “U.S. Department of State”. Ambassador Passport and Visa can obtain a money order for the government. fees, for additional fee of $20. The remainder of the processing fees, shipping fees, etc. can be paid separately (or entirely, including the govt. fees and money order fees) on the Cover Letter.
(2) Ambassador Passport and Visa Services Fees:
Please note: We are pleased to announce that we are resuming accepting passport applications for expedited processing at speeds that are close to pre-pandemic turnaround times. At this time, we can offer three speeds: Regular Expedited, Rush Processing and Ultra Rush Processing. For example, currently, in as little as a few days (depending on current availability) you can have a new or renewed passport back in your hands. Since we are registered to hand carry your application into the US Department of State, these turn-around times are significantly less than mail-in or on-line methods that are publicly available. If you need to expedite your passport, or simply planning ahead for an upcoming trip, please contact an Ambassador Passport and Visa consultant at 310-828-7878 for the latest availabilities and turnaround times.
(3) Federal Express Fees (Continental USA Only)
|FedEx 2nd Business Day||$45.00|
|FedEx Letter (Priority Overnight)||$48.00|
|FedEx Letter (First Overnight)||$130.00|
|FedEx Letter (Saturday Delivery)||$78.00|
|Alaska, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, USVI –|
FedEx Priority Overnight Letter (No Saturday Delivery)
10 - Mailing Instructions
Please Forward All The Above Documents and Requirements To:
Ambassador Passport and Visa Services, Inc.
1400 16th Street, Suite 400
Denver, Colorado, 80202
For 24 Hour Passport Services ONLY: Be sure to call us so we can determine which address you should ship to, our Los Angeles, Washington D.C., Colorado, or our Seattle Office. Also, 24 hour processing begins once we have received all of your documents as specified on this page, to the correct office location.