You can obtain a child’s passport fast, in as little as 24 hours.

  • All travelers, regardless of age, require a passport to travel internationally
  • Minors younger than 16 will be issued 5 year US passport, and minor ages 16 and 17 will be issued a 10 year adult passport.
  • Please note: We are pleased to announce that we are resuming accepting passport applications for expedited processing at speeds that are close to pre-pandemic turnaround times.  At this time, we can offer three speeds: Regular Expedited, Rush Processing and Ultra Rush Processing.  For example, currently, in as little as a few days (depending on current availability) you can have a new or renewed passport back in your hands.  Since we are registered to hand carry your application into the US Department of State, these turn-around times are significantly less than mail-in or on-line methods that are publicly available.  If you need to expedite your passport, or simply planning ahead for an upcoming trip, please contact an Ambassador Passport and Visa consultant at 310-828-7878 for the latest availabilities and turnaround times.

    To apply for a first time; or a renewal of a child’s / kid’s passport the following documents are needed:

    Instructions for applying for a child’s passport:

    Print Page

    1 - Completing Application Form DS-11

    Please read the following important notes before completing the online application: 

    • Agree with the privacy agreement on the first page, and on the next page left hand column, select the “Apply Online” option on bottom left hand side of page, click on “Submit” and proceed with the application.
    •  the privacy agreement on the first page, and on the next page select the “Apply Online” option on bottom left hand side of page, click on “Submit” and proceed with the application.
    • On the page titled “Passport Products and Fees”, under “Processing Methods” choose the “Expedited at Agency” option, and under “Delivery Methods” select the “Standard” option (Since Ambassador Passport and Visa will hand carry your documents to and from the US Department of State, the mailing option does not apply to hand carry applicants).
    • On the last page, titled “Next Steps” on bottom left, check the box next to “I have read and acknowledge the steps…” and below it click on the “Create Form” button at the bottom left, then open and print your application.  Do not sign until appearing in front of passport acceptance agent.
    • If at any time you have any questions or concerns, please call us at 310-828-7878. 
      If you are using our expediting service, please note:

      You must send all documents and requirements to Ambassador Passport and Visa Services so that we can hand carry your application into the Passport Agency immediately. Your passport application will expire and not be considered valid within five days from the date of execution / sealing.


    Please click here to go through the online process of creating your DS-11 Application Form on the Department of State Website (Complete but Do Not Sign)

    If your passport has been lost or stolen, Application form DSP-64 must also be completed and signed.

    Please click here for DSP-64 Application Form – Lost Application Form

    For minors under age 16, both parents as well as the minor child should be present at the time of execution of the documents. If only one parent appears the other parent must sign and notarize a consent form:

    Please click here for printing the Letter of Consent

    2 - A Mandatory Statement if a child does not have a social security number

    If you have a child who hasn’t been issued a Social Security number, you’ll need to write an official statement – DOWNLOAD STATEMENT HERE.

    3 - Two Recent Passport Photographs

    Please note: acceptable passport photos are:
    • Photographs must be 2 x 2 inches in size, taken within the past 6 months.
    • The image size from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head should be between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches.
    • No glasses
    • The photographs must be in color
    • They must be full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background.
    • Photographs should be taken without a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline.
    • Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless required for medical reasons.
    • Home made Digital photographs are not acceptable.


    4 - Completed And Signed Authorization Letter

    Important note: You MUST select the first option (by checking the box on the left), in order for us to be able to process your application request. Not doing so will result in a delay in the processing of your passport application.  After selecting the first option, it is also necessary to select one of the next two options.

    Click here for the Letter of Authorization – Online Fillable PDF Version.
    Please note: If you are using a mobile device, and/or have trouble filling out the form online, please click here for a printable-only version that can be filled out by hand in blue ink.

    • The Authorization Letter must be filled out in the name of the child and signed by one of the parents.
    • The printed, completed, and signed Authorization Letter (in blue ink only) should be placed inside a sealed envelope by the Passport Clerk when executing the passport application (as explained in step #9 below)
    5 - Proof Of U.S. Citizenship

    Can be one of the following:

    • Certified Birth Certificate – Issued by the County or State Health Department or Bureau of Vital Statistics. Hospital birth certificates are not accepted. For assistance in getting a Birth Certificate, please click here.
    • Consulate record of birth abroad
    •  Naturalization Certificates also known as Certificate of Citizenship
    •  Previous expired U.S. passport – issued over 15 years ago or issued when you were under the age of 16
    • Please note: when renewing passports for minors under age 15, both previous passport and the original birth certificate should be submitted.
    • Plus In addition to Proof of U.S. Citizenship, Proof of Identity of both parents is also required. A valid USA Driver’s License, or USA State ID, or a valid international passport, or a valid consulate ID is required.  Make 2 copies of front and back of both parents valid State ID’s or Drivers Licenses
    6 - Proof Of The Departure Date from the USA is Required

    Please note: Due to the pandemic, at this time it is not required to provide any type of proof of departure or travel until further notice.  However, if you have an itinerary, reservation, business letter, or other proof of travel, please provide it.

    Copy of itinerary or air tickets, or letter on employer’s stationery confirming immediate international travel is required. Click here for a sample of the Business Letter for the Passport Office.

    7 - Completed Ambassador Passport and Visa Services Cover Letter
    8 - Be Sure To Make Copies Before Your Documents Are Sealed

    Before the documents are sealed (described in next step) please make copies of:
    • All application forms: DS-11 and DSP-64 if applicable
    • Authorization Letter
    • Proof of Travel (Travel Itinerary or Business letter)
    • Copies of front and back of both parents valid State ID’s or Drivers Licenses

    Since we cannot open the sealed envelope you send us, these extra copies should be included inside the Federal Express or UPS envelope shipped to Ambassador Passport and Visa Services. Failure to provide us with copies may result in significant delays or rejection of your passport application.

    9 - Execution of the passport application

    Minors must appear in person at the post office or the courthouse for this step in the application process.
    Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by both parents or legal guardian with acceptable proof of ID. Documentation must establish proof of citizenship and also proof of the relationship between the child applicant and the parent(s)/guardian(s). Previous U.S. Passports are not acceptable as proof of relationship. A photocopy of both parents’ identification must be provided along with the minor applicant’s certified birth certificate.
    Note: If only one parent appears the other parent must sign and notarize a consent form:

    Please click here for printing the Letter of Consent

    Take the above requirements to your local acceptance agent for Passport Applications (usually a post office, county clerk or court house). Inform the acceptance agent that you are processing your passport application through a private agency or through a “hand carry” agent. The clerk will place the above documents  in a sealed envelope and return it to you (You must not open or tamper with this envelope).  The sealed envelope should be sent or delivered to our office immediately, as it will expire within 5 business days from day of execution of the documents.

    Please note: occasionally an acceptance agent will be reluctant to return your sealed envelope. If you encounter this problem, please refer him to the “Hand Carry” section of the Acceptance Officer Procedure Manual or contact Ambassador Passport and Visa Services.

    To locate the closest Passport Acceptance Agent, Click Here

    10 - Fees

    (1) Government Fee: These Government Fees are paid at the time of execution, as per the instructions above.

    For Minors / Children Under 16 Years:

    Execution Fee (the clerk will retain the execution fee):$35.00
    Government Fee (payable to U.S. Department of State):$160.00
    Total Government Fees:$195.00

    For Minors / Children 16 to 18 Years:

    Execution Fee (the clerk will retain the execution fee):$35.00
    Government Fee (payable to U.S. Department of State):$190.00
    Total Government Fees:$225.00

    (2) Ambassador Passport and Visa Services Fees:

    Regular Expedited (3 to 4 weeks)Call for current pricing
    Express Processing (10 to 15 Business Days)Call for current pricing
    Rush Processing (7 to 10 Days)Call for current pricing
    Ultra Rush ProcessinggCall for current pricing

    Please note: Processing times begin the next business day after we receive your documents.

    (3) Federal Express Fees (Continental USA Only)

    FedEx 2nd Business Day$45.00
    FedEx Letter (Priority Overnight)$48.00
    FedEx Letter (First Overnight)$130.00
    FedEx Letter (Saturday Delivery)$78.00
    Alaska, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, USVI –
    FedEx Priority Overnight Letter (No Saturday Delivery)


    11 - Mailing Instructions

    Please Forward All The Above Documents and Requirements To:
    Ambassador Passport and Visa Services, Inc.
    1400 16th Street, Suite 400
    Denver, Colorado, 80202

    Share This