You can obtain a child’s passport fast, in as little as 24 hours.
- All travelers, regardless of age, require a passport to travel internationally
- Minors younger than 16 will be issued a 5 year US passport, and minors ages 16 and 17 will be issued a 10 year adult passports.
- Please note: Ambassador Passport and Visa is a private service that charges an additional fee to expedite your passport in 1-18 business days.
Instructions for applying for a child’s passport:
1 - Completing Application Form DS-11
Please read the following important notes before completing the online application:
- Agree with the privacy agreement on the first page, and on the next page select the “Apply Online” option on bottom left hand side of page, click on “Submit” and proceed with the application.
- On the page titled “Passport Products and Fees”, under “Processing Methods” choose the “Expedited at Agency” option, and under “Delivery Methods” select the “Standard” option (Since Ambassador Passport and Visa will hand carry your documents to and from the US Department of State, the mailing option does not apply to hand carry applicants).
- On the last page, titled “Next Steps” on bottom left, check the box next to “I have read and acknowledge the steps…” and below it click on the “Create Form” button at the bottom left, then open and print your application. Do not sign until appearing in front of passport acceptance agent.
- If at any time you have any questions or concerns, please call us at 720-400-7255.
If you are using our expediting service, please note:
You must send all documents and requirements to Ambassador Passport and Visa Services so that we can hand carry your application into the Passport Agency immediately. Your passport application will expire and not be considered valid within five days from the date of execution / sealing.
FAILURE TO SEND YOUR DOCUMENTS AND REQUIREMENTS TO THE AMBASSADOR PASSPORT AND VISA SERVICES ADDRESS DIRECTLY MAY RESULT IN SIGNIFICANT DELAYS BEYOND OUR CONTROL.
If your passport has been lost or stolen, Application form DSP-64 must also be completed and signed.
For minors under age 16, both parents as well as the minor child should be present at the time of execution of the documents. If only one parent appears the other parent must sign and notarize a consent form:
2 - A Mandatory Statement if a child does not have a social security number
If you have a child who hasn’t been issued a Social Security number, you’ll need to write an official statement – DOWNLOAD STATEMENT HERE.
3 - Two Recent Passport Photographs
Please note: acceptable passport photos are:
• Photographs must be 2 x 2 inches in size, taken within the past 6 months.
• The image size from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head should be between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches.
• No glasses
• The photographs must be in color
• They must be full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background.
• Photographs should be taken without a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline.
• Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless required for medical reasons.
• Home made Digital photographs are not acceptable.
4 - Completed And Signed Authorization Letter
Important note: You MUST select the first option (by checking the box on the left), in order for us to be able to process your application request. Not doing so will result in a delay in the processing of your passport application. After selecting the first option, it is also necessary to select one of the next two options.
Please print, complete, and sign (in blue ink only):
Please note: If you are using a mobile device, and/or have trouble filling out the form online, please click here for a printable-only version that can be filled out by hand in blue ink.
- The Authorization Letter must be filled out in the name of the child and signed by one of the parents.
- The printed, completed, and signed Authorization Letter (in blue ink only) should be placed inside a sealed envelope by the Passport Clerk when executing the passport application (as explained in step #9 below)
5 - Proof Of U.S. Citizenship
Can be one of the following:
- Certified Birth Certificate – Issued by the County or State Health Department or Bureau of Vital Statistics. Hospital birth certificates are not accepted. For assistance in getting a Birth Certificate, please click here.
- Consulate record of birth abroad
- Naturalization Certificates also known as Certificate of Citizenship
- Previous expired U.S. passport – issued over 15 years ago or issued when you were under the age of 16
- Please note: when renewing passports for minors under age 15, both previous passport and the original birth certificate should be submitted.
- Plus In addition to Proof of U.S. Citizenship, Proof of Identity of both parents is also required. A valid USA Driver’s License, or USA State ID, or a valid international passport, or a valid consulate ID is required.
6 - Proof Of The Departure Date from the USA is Required
Copy of itinerary or air tickets, or letter on employer’s stationery confirming immediate international travel is required. Click here for a sample of the Business Letter for the Passport Office.
7 - Completed Ambassador Passport and Visa Services Cover Letter
8 - Be Sure To Make Copies Before Your Documents Are Sealed
Before the documents are sealed (described in next step) please make copies of:
• All application forms: DS-11 and DSP-64 if applicable
• Authorization Letter
• Proof of Travel (Travel Itinerary or Business letter)
• Ambassador Passport and Visa Services Cover Letter
Since we cannot open the sealed envelope you send us, these extra copies should be included inside the Federal Express or UPS envelope shipped to Ambassador Passport and Visa Services. Failure to provide us with copies may result in significant delays or rejection of your passport application.
9 - Execution of the passport application
Minors must appear in person at the post office or the courthouse for this step in the application process.
Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by both parents or legal guardian with acceptable proof of ID. Documentation must establish proof of citizenship and also proof of the relationship between the child applicant and the parent(s)/guardian(s). Previous U.S. Passports are not acceptable as proof of relationship. A photocopy of both parents’ identification must be provided along with the minor applicant’s certified birth certificate.
Note: If only one parent appears the other parent must sign and notarize a consent form:
Take the above requirements to your local acceptance agent for Passport Applications (usually a post office, county clerk or court house). Inform the acceptance agent that you are processing your passport application through a private agency or through a “hand carry” agent. The clerk will place the above documents in a sealed envelope and return it to you (You must not open or tamper with this envelope). The sealed envelope should be sent or delivered to our office immediately, as it will expire within 5 business days from day of execution of the documents.
Please note: occasionally an acceptance agent will be reluctant to return your sealed envelope. If you encounter this problem, please refer him to the “Hand Carry” section of the Acceptance Officer Procedure Manual or contact Ambassador Passport and Visa Services.
To locate the closest Passport Acceptance Agent, Click Here
10 - Fees
• You will need to pay the U.S. government fee to the clerk. This fee should be paid by two checks:
For Minors / Children Under 16 Years:
|Execution Fee (the clerk will retain the execution fee):||$35.00|
|Government Fee (payable to U.S. Department of State):||$140.00|
|Total Government Fees:||$175.00|
For Minors / Children 16 to 18 Years:
|Execution Fee (the clerk will retain the execution fee):||$35.00|
|Government Fee (payable to U.S. Department of State):||$170.00|
|Total Government Fees:||$205.00|
For Same Day Processing, availability, and pricing, please contact an Ambassador Passport and Visa agent at 720-400-7255.
Note: There is a 5% charge for all government and consular fees paid by credit or debit cards.
(3) Federal Express Fees (Continental USA Only)
|FedEx 2nd Business Day||$45.00|
|FedEx Letter (Priority Overnight)||$48.00|
|FedEx Letter (Saturday Delivery)||$78.00|
|Alaska, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, USVI –|
FedEx Priority Overnight Letter (No Saturday Delivery)
11 - Mailing Instructions
Please Forward All The Above Documents and Requirements To:
Ambassador Passport and Visa Services, Inc.
1400 16th Street, Suite 400
Denver, Colorado, 80202